Do I Need House Insurance When Renting A Room?

Do I need house insurance when renting a room in someone’s house?

No. If renting a room in someone else’s property, it is the property owner’s responsibility to insure the building and contents. They would, however, need specialist landlord insurance – not home owner insurance.

As a tenant renting one room, it is advised to take out tenant contents insurance.

However, it is worth noting that this policy only covers theft or attempted theft from the home when it is as a result of violent and forcible entry.

As always, it is worth taking adequate security measures for your possessions, keeping jewellery and smaller items of value in a safe and fitting your room with a lock.

Brokers Direct offer low cost tenant contents insurance.